The bride specifically requested sheet cakes for this wedding in two different flavors. I understand that the bride's dress was white, black and red and the theme was burlesque. I was told that lots of deep colors, roses and classic floral prints would be ideal. Given this information, I tried to decorate the sheet cakes to tie in to the colors, flowers and theme used in the wedding.
This cake is Ferrero Rocher cake (chocolate-hazelnut cake layers filled with a Nutella filling and fresh toasted chopped hazelnuts topped with a chocolate-hazelnut ganache). The floral pattern was done with white buttercream. The roses are made with gumpaste and the borders and drop flowers were done with red buttercream.
This cake is a Lemon Raspberry Cake (lemon cake layers filled with raspberry cream cheese filling and whole raspberries iced with a raspberry mousseline buttercream). The floral design was done with black buttercream icing and the cake was topped with red buttercream roses, drop flowers and bead borders.
The main challenge with these cakes was their size. My apartment kitchen is very, very tiny and these cakes were not - between these two cakes, I used 42 eggs, 6 pounds of butter, 32 ounces of Callebaut semisweet chocolate, and over 1/2kg of fresh hazelnuts! I did manage to get them done in the limited space I had though, and that's all that matters.
Yesterday was a beautiful day for a summer wedding in Vancouver. Congratulations to the happy couple!
This blog will follow my adventures with cake, pastry and all things sweet!